Saturday, August 15, 2026
A POPPY FOR SGT SIDHU -----Sometime in 2012, I received a Poppy for Sgt Devinder (David) Sidhu. My fathers cousin, a man who had died (KIA) before I was born. Here is the picture and letter pertaining to David, whose plane had been shot down by the Germans on a mine laying mission off the coast of Denmark in 1944. The four engined Stirling bomber (W7513) was lost with the entire crew on board. The plane and its seven crew were never found. Devinders name is on Panel 147 of the Runnymede Memorial in London which I had visited a few years back. The Memorial commemorates the tragic loss of 55,573 young Bomber Command airmen in the Second World War and was unveiled at a ceremony in Green Park, London on 28 June 2012.
The Queen had unveiled a nine foot high bronze sculpture depicting seven (unknown) Bomber Command aircrew. The ceremony ended with a flypast by five RAF GR4 Tornado bomber aircrafts followed by a flypast by Lancaster Bomber, PA474, which had dropped poppies over Green Park as a message of remembrance for the 55,573 Bomber aircrew lost. And that is how I received a Poppy for Sgt Sidhu!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A POPPY FOR SGT SIDHU -----Sometime in 2012, I received a Poppy for Sgt Devinder (David) Sidhu. My fathers cousin, a man who had died (KIA) ...
-
SEHIT TURK ASKERI , DOOLLAY TAP, DILIP KUMAR AND THE TOBRUK GUN M y first visit to Deolali was sometime in 1978 as a subaltern, no...
-
GIBRALTAR , BARKI AND MAJ BHATTI'S LAST BATTLE - A VIEW FROM BOTH SIDES ( D S SARAO ) ...
-
A FAILURE OF THE GENERALS (D S SARAO) I ask...
No comments:
Post a Comment